- Clear — The interface of Check the Weather is intentionally simple. It provides just the data you need, without any distractions or confusion.
- Accurate — Built on top of some of the most advanced weather forecasting systems available, Check the Weather gives hyper-accurate data wherever you find yourself.
- Fast — Check the Weather is optimized from the ground up to be fast and fluid, whether you are on the fanciest new iPhone or a more vintage model.
- Beautiful — From its thoughtfully laid out information hierarchy to its extensive use of custom typography, Check the Weather is designed to make you want to open it.
- Layered — The app presents a beguilingly simple interface. All the basic weather data is immediately presented on the home dashboard. A simple swipe left, right or up exposes detailed drill-down data providing everything a budding meteorologist could want.
- Current Conditions
- Hourly Temperature and Precipitation forecasts
- Extended 16 day outlook
- Astronomical data including sunrise, sunset and moon phase
- Doppler Radar precipitation map
A Truly World-Class App
Check the Weather provides weather data across the globe. From Timbuktu to Istanbul, wherever you end up you’ll always know what it’s like outside.
Additionally, Check the Weather’s interface is localized into:
Typography & Design
- Idlewild by Hoefler & Frere-Jones. Used for all weather forecast displays. Chosen for its distinctiveness and strangely vintage, futuristic look.
- Pitch by Klim Type Foundry. Used to render hazardous weather alerts. Chosen to give the alerts the appearance of being typed out on a classic typewriter.
- Weather Icons by Sensible World.
- Web Site Development by Big Drop Inc
I firmly believe in making my applications accessible to the poorly sighted. Rather than just doing the bare minimum by adding descriptive labels to the text controls, I have turned Check the Weather into your personal weatherman.
Swiping along the main interface will provide:
- Current Condition Information — “Weather for New York City, New York. Current temperature is 72 degrees, it is currently mostly cloudy”
- Short-term Forecast — “The weather outlook for the next 12 hours. It looks like it will be hottest around 2pm at 84 degrees fahrenheit and coldest around 3am at 54 degrees fahrenheit. The average chance of precipitation is 25 percent.”
- Extended Forecasts — “Forecast for Friday, expected high temperature of 12 degrees celsius with a low of 8 degrees. The weather on Friday is expected to be scattered showers.”
- Astronomical Data — “Sunrise today is at 6:23 AM, Sunset tonight is at 7:21 PM. The moon is currently a waxing gibbous.”